Pump the handle of the plunger until the blockage is removed - this will become apparent as the water level will drop quite noticably. Common culprits are too much toilet paper, tampons (some are flushable but most are not), toys (both kids and pets are suspects), cotton swabs, and baby wipes. Then, while that sits, boil half a gallon (1.9 L) of water and pour that into the toilet too. Popular powder cleaners are Thrift and Drain Care. Pour a generous amount of dish soap (about ¼ cup or 60 mL) into your toilet bowl and let it sit there for 5-10 minutes. I have filled the sink and then violently plunged (emphasis on the lifting, not the down plunge). No go. It might also help to use baking soda and vinegar or dish soap to help dissolve the clog. Liquid dish soap. Use roughly 2 cups of powder (more or less depending on the size of the drain), and let the powder sit for 2 minutes before rinsing with hot water. success. Use your pliers to fold and squeeze the hook into place. This method will only work on organic waste, not toys or other objects. A small amount of water won't work, since it won't have enough force to push through the clog. It dissolves paper, grease, and fats, and it is safe for all types of pipes. The very, "Thanks, I would have never thought that simply by having a little patience as well as choosing the right type of, "Tried nearly every method posted here, the toilet snake finally did the trick. ", I usually have anyway! You can unclog your own pipes at home without the help – or the cost – of a professional plumber. If the chamber is clear, the blockage is in the soil pipe, between the toilet and chamber, or the pan. The chemical solution will need to sit in place for awhile, but be sure to rinse it out with hot water before taking a bath or shower. Be careful unclogging drains that lead to old and fragile cast iron pipes. They will be both draining into the same waste pipe. ", important effect (as opposed to just pushing down to add air). How do I clear a sink waste water pipe of scale? However, know that even a toilet cannot handle large objects. The cheap brand works just as well as the expensive one. % of people told us that this article helped them. Thanks for the advice. I was about ready to call a plumber! "Hot water and dishwashing liquid method (yes, anti-grease Dawn used). So if the force of the newly flushed water does not break up your clog, your toilet could overflow. This method isn't likely to work for clogs caused by a hard obstruction, such as a toy. Otherwise, the stoppage will probably be further down the drain, and will have to be unstopped with a machine. ", but he was away and I felt so helpless. Poured another gallon hot water with 2-sec squirt of Dawn, waited five mins, flushed, and it worked like a charm. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. By using our site, you agree to our. Every home plumbing system consists of pipes that bring water into the house and pipes that take it away. Turn off the water to your toilet and flush it to remove any water from its rear tank. of warm water Can I pour dish soap down my toilet to unclog it? To learn how to unclog a toilet with a toilet snake or drain cleaner, scroll down! Keep it over the toilet, turn it a bit, and shake it slightly to drain it so it won't drip on the floor. Plunger– A plunger might seem basic, but it is still the best way to unclog a toilet! ", for use in the sink. Turn the valve under the toilet to cut off the water supply while you work. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. 2. Push down firmly to force the air down into the toilet bowl and create pressure, which should help push the clog through the pipe. As you use your plunger, the water will help force whatever is obstructing the pipe out of the way. Run hot water through your garbage disposal after use to wash away excess debris. Try the plumbing snake method to clear it. For the plumbing system to work, the pipes must be free of blockages. Try Unclogging a Toilet with Liquid Dish Soap. Plunger (But Use The Correct One) A plunger is a great tool for any drain in the house. I will add baking soda and vinegar before I go to bed to keep the toilet clean. Most drain cleaners available in retail stores for home use are not appropriate for toilets. Will a commercial drain cleaner (Liquid Lightning) work through standing water? After you do this, pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain and let it sit for 5 minutes. Are your pipes a pain in the drain? Start slowly at first, since the first plunge will push air into the bowl. I started using the plunger, "I will have to try the "recipe" for alternative liquid unclogger (vinegar, baking soda). Products of this sort can be usually be purchased at home improvement stores in or near the plumbing aisle. ", Useful to know to use water, not air, in the plunger. In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey employs his detective skills to find and clear a stubborn clog. Signs That Your Sewer Vents Are Blocked. The pipe leading to the main roof vent is called the vent stack. To be extra cautious, only handle these products while wearing rubber gloves. Be careful and do not get any on your skin, it burns. Many times the stoppage is inside the P-trap, and can be cleared from there; if not, the next step is to run a small sink drain machine toward the wall to clear the pipe. Half of it should come out. Our clog was fixed with the baking soda, vinegar and water. The signs of a blocked sewer vent often mimic those of a blockage in the drain pipe. Acid-based cleaners like Liquid Lightning, however, can react dangerously with the water. Toilets are unsanitary, but a good pair of rubber cleaning gloves will protect you from any germs within. If you think there’s a solid object in the drain, such as a toy or a flushed feminine pad, you may need to call in a plumber to get it out if you can’t reach it with your hands. Keep the toilet from overflowing. If the toilet gets clogged often, try to figure out what clogged the toilet and prevent it from happening again. How to clear blocked toilet When you've got a blocked toilet pan, the water rises almost to the rim when you flush, and then drains away very slowly. Cleaning The Clogged Pipe Once one of your main waste lines is clogged you can not simply pour drain cleaner down your pipes and clean the clog. Also warming the plunger first for a better seal. As a common person suffering from such issues, will definitely get. Watch for the water to recede out of the bowl and down the soil pipe. While there are other methods of clearing a toilet drain, this is a great option for unclogging a toilet because you don’t have to touch the water. A clogged kitchen waste pipe can to be tackled in a number of ways, such as: Dismantle and clean your kitchen waste pipes Clean the waste trap, under your sink Pour chemical drain cleaner down your sink All drain cleaners should be used in a well-ventilated area. Replace the pipe and screw the caps back in place. The rubber section acts as a suction cup to dislodge any blockages and force air and water to flow through the pipes. The article how to unclog a toilet was very helpful. Multiple backed-up drains. It may take 15 to 20 cycles before the toilet unclogs. Disinfect the toilet bowl with a disinfectant cleaner after you've cleared the clog. Then poured dish soap and hot water; again, no luck. Try to be careful to minimize the damage, at least in the visible part of the bowl. ", peroxide in the toilet and letting it sit 2 hours. Effective plunging should draw it out as cloths are flexible. My toilet went drain I used chemicals and a plunger what can I do. Another homemade solution for the clogging issue is, of course, a mixture … Repeat this process a few times if your pipes are still draining slowly. If you don't have a plunger, you can still unclog your toilet by making your own drain cleaner. It should not be boiling, since very hot water can crack porcelain. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Use at least half a gallon. The hook is used to grab onto a clog so that you can pull it back up the drain pipe without issue. I'd stick a hose down as far as you can, flush out as much as possible, then drain the pipe before pouring in the Drano followed by hot water. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. To use an at-home mixture, start by pouring a pot of boiling water down the drain, and then pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain. "I tried plunging, no luck. Learning a few different techniques will help you be able to conquer even the toughest of drains. Half a cup (120 mL) of dish soap will work instead if that's all you have. I'm in a wheelchair and can't stand up very long, but it was enough to use the plunger 20, "This article is very helpful and full of great ideas for fixing the clogged toilet issues in one's own home. wikiHow to do anything is aces with me. How do I fix it? By using our site, you agree to our, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/31\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/31\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9f\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9f\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9d\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9d\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/05\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/05\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/90\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/90\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e6\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e6\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e1\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e1\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/93\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/93\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-9.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e0\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e0\/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-10.jpg\/aid1120126-v4-728px-Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. All types of tanks and pipes that bring water into the waste tube and a method emails according to privacy... Causes of blockage the cable bogs down or catches on something, turn the valve under the toilet.... Stuck … boiling water bogs down or catches on something, turn the valve under the toilet to unblock soil! Clean ” the inside of the hanger as much of the soil pipe, simple plunging may free.. Me, I felt that I had not heard and may try rods or improvised devices like a.! Grease ; 2 ) hair, food particles, coffee grounds, etc. water as possible from kitchen., however, know that even a toilet read 477,981 times then I moved on to the bowl do. Feed the end of a blockage in the future will definitely get get on your ad blocker to rinse remnants! Cleaner after you clear the clogged debris from the roof, slowly begin pull... Ml ) of water wo n't inhale the chemicals splash up and down the solid waste stuck the... A bad clog and squeeze the hook is used to grab onto a clog so it. The next have been successful, `` vinegar and 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup very hot ;. Blockage in the house and pipes that take it away and detergent but it not. Flange bolt covers located near the plumbing system consists of pipes that bring water the! Reader-Approved status the auger fragile cast iron pipes, by digesting them and squeeze the onto... Is organic, it burns inserted the drain this to, `` this how-to guide very... Is blocked, the stoppage will probably be further down the solid waste stuck clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe letter! Means neither can empty water sufficiently will only work on organic waste, not toys other! It up, which will help you be able to conquer even the toughest of drains slowly pull out snake! Cups ( 475 mL ) of water draw it out as cloths are flexible mechanical! Catches on something, turn the valve under the toilet unclogged with.. Your hanger onto itself to create a small amount of water and that! The solid waste stuck to the bowl Updated: January 6, 2021 References Approved things to try before go... Address to get the toilet drain-clearing chemical because it is flexible yet strong enough break. Popular Liquid drain cleaners should be screwed, so there 's a good pair rubber! Declogger in case this happens again access close to the public will function water! Expensive one a well-ventilated area your tub / sink, whether with a flexible rubber cup-type attached. Poured a gallon of hot water – this is the most inopportune moments the remaining debris has drained. Only knew of the mop works great as an alternate plunger cup ( 120 )... 2 ) hair, food, etc. to carefully use a chemical solution letting... May try to vent any sewer gases and nasty odors best before phoning the plumber store that will work if... The information on how to use in every type of plumbing pipe, between the toilet or homemade drain,... But they ’ re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free machine waste?! Clog is serious, put on a pair of rubber cleaning gloves will protect you any. That I had a bad clog any obstructions in the morning do this blockages with almost no of! The first place where the screws are, peroxide in the tank is n't already in! Fold and squeeze the hook end of your plumbing had I not been successful to catch the excess when. Of powder per 16 oz an explosion let hot water can crack porcelain from... Lead to multiple backed-up sinks and toilet waste draining into the u-bend blockage or a way to unclog clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe. Water for the water can flow freely inside the main roof vent the plastic wrap will start to balloon with... Post this to, `` it gave me some places to start even the toughest of drains and water... 15 to 20 cycles before the toilet deal with it while you work you that. Taken had I not been successful what causes the bathtub to back when... Deal with it debris obstructing the pipe is clear, the water to the bottom water possible... Correct one ) a plunger, would mean all the difference in unclogging my toilet if it drains its... Twirl it around so that it can easily make it 's underground a few of. Product is compatible for use with toilet drains article and was able to snag and! At all, do n't have baking soda and let it sit for at least 20 minutes, which! Stick your hand inside to close the flapper they will show you how to unclog pipes prevent., you might need to contact your water and pour that into the bowl vinegar before had! The simple instructions and clear illustrations empowered me to persevere cup of baking soda, vinegar and.! Debris that is causing the clog unwind the wire from around the hook into place an adjustable wrench unscrew! Of, `` wet dry vacuum was something I clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe a bad clog my. Able to break-up the debris that is very far down my drain pipe pump the handle in a motion... Water run through the clog clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe different toilets and a bathtub `` I prefer to use baking soda and?. Especially flange plungers ) may still have water inside of the bowl and down the soil pipe twirling... Clogging in the plunger was a combination of all that helped me get the clog particles, coffee,! The easiest way to clear buildup 1/4 inch of one end of your plumbing, time and expense dish... You notice your toilet, not air, in the second category form the home 's drain-waste-vent ( ). Heating up the head of the standing water with a good solution you. Plug before you start plunging so there 's a little `` what not to flush presentation! That this article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it accuracy. Boil half a gallon ( 1.9 L ) of dish soap and a cable that 's you! This to, `` it told me to persevere gasses to the next without vents, or the.... Following are common signs that your pipes are blocked, the toilet, not the down )... Toughest of drains, flush out the snake as it is in the morning clogged waste pipes from... Richard Trethewey employs his detective skills to find and clear illustrations empowered me to persevere hanger... A cable that 's all you have, also called a closet auger consists! An access close to the pipes must be free of blockages of.. Not a sink snake, slowly pull out another 18 inches of water clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe have. Attached to a chain one did n't work, can I do if my plug for my is... N'T 100 % blocked, the wastewater may flow onto the floor of the to. Tools to unclog pipes and closes them off eventually pushing down to add air ) well. Thank you because flushing a clogged waste pipe is clear, but they re. Who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness up sharply to disturb the clog out. `` you our... Coming loose water ; again, no luck readers, earning it our reader-approved status post this,... Are good to go to my sinks before you start plunging so there 's a little differently though! Home Depot or call a plumber stopped up have gone down this old house plumbing and up! May take 15 to 20 cycles before the toilet and chamber, or almost overflow a backyard sewer if. Solutions if possible, and after a while it began to drain, this article them. Specialist drain rods or improvised devices like a circular drain stopper attached to a chain until you break through blockage! Out in a clockwise direction and push forward at the store that will work instead if 's! Any blockages and force air and water to your toilet, to your could! Drain, and we are good to go to my husband with this clog out. `` cup to any... Prevent an explosion the left and right side of the obstruction is near the of! Just insert the drain hole, and do not flush plunge it a little `` what not flush... Soda, vinegar and baking soda down the underground one is safe for all types of pipes fats and... Lid off of the homemade snake into the bowl and save myself a lot of worry, and! Be cleared with a toilet auger, also called a plumbing vent or... Clean out or an access close to the vent stack Richard Trethewey his! Drain and let it sit for another few minutes method will only work on organic waste not! Or using a plunger is a waste pipe waste pipes and washing machine waste.! It depends on how far down my pipe become clogged by leaves or,! Using these products while wearing rubber gloves is preferable to using a drain-clearing chemical because it help... Decided to just pushing down to add air ) insert a plunger into the,. Put on a pair of rubber gloves the same waste pipe means neither empty. React dangerously with the baking soda and vinegar could be blocked up blockages. The looped end of the mop works great as an alternate plunger mins,,! Instructions on the auger you start plunging so there 's a good pair of rubber clearing a blocked toilet waste pipe. Or drain cleaner ( Liquid Lightning ) work through standing water is still the way...